Tuesday, December 15, 2009

RBC Customer Service Fail

My family and friends tell me when I get really angry, I can be a very mean and nasty person. I certainly hope so, at least in cases where a person whose main responsibility is customer service fails to do so.

As I mentioned earlier, I have finally found a suitor for my lovely apartment. The tenant handed me two bank drafts (or money orders) last night for his deposit. Now, let’s pause here and re-read what I just wrote.

Bank drafts.

Also known as money orders.*

Those things that banks charge you $6.50 for. Each. Oh, and the money is already accounted for once those drafts are made.

Now, my tenant actually works for Bank of Montreal so I assume he has some credibility behind the documents he hands me.

Moving along, I went to the RBC branch at University Avenue and Dundas Avenue this morning to cash in those money orders and transfer the money to my dad. The teller promptly said that he would have to put a hold on both of them for five (5) business days to make them clear. When I asked him why, he said it’s just the way it is, it would be different if I was depositing cash (no shit, Sherlock). He said they were unverified and it takes five (5) business days for them to get cleared by the other financial institution and to make sure everything is legit.

So I left not wanting to give up the drafts because, though I didn’t know much about bank drafts, this sounded a little odd to me. I headed over to the BMO across the street and asked them what their process was. They informed me that unfortunately I could not cash the drafts with them, however any financial institution would just be able to call the branch where the draft was created to verify the account holder’s funds.

After this, I moseyed on back to work and decided to do a little online research about what the reality was. RBC’s website wasn’t too helpful but provided with a phone number I could call. I called Customer Service, not releasing my name or account information, and pretended to be a customer inquiring about what the process to get a bank draft made would be.

The CSR was very polite and told me that most drafts act as guaranteed money and can be cashed by the receiver immediately. If there is any issue, the receiver’s financial institution would call RBC to verify the account holder’s funds. He also mentioned that he personally answers various calls of such a nature on a daily basis. I asked him if there would ever be a situation where the draft could not be cashed immediately and why. He responded by stating if the receiver’s account had any flags from previous transaction, the draft may be held for two (2) business days only.

Hearing this, I told him what had just happened with me at the RBC branch and asked if my account had any flags. After getting my account information, he cleared me for being able to receive bank drafts of the monetary value I had disclosed to him, and stated there should be no problem when I returned to a branch.

I head back over to RBC after hearing this (hopping mad by this time) and spoke to a different teller, outlining the situation. She not-so-politely informed me that the draft would be subject to a five (5) business day hold. I told her what the CSR had told me and she did the following:

1) Asked me for his name
2) Said the Customer Service reps don’t know what actually happens at branches
3) Things have changed

Nevertheless, she went to speak with her manager and returned to tell me that they would process the drafts for me just this once but in general, it was a rule that they had to put holds on them. I snidely said that maybe RBC should have better training and education, to which she laughed sarcastically and agreed with me.

Then she went on to say this:

“Bank drafts are basically the same as personal cheques.”

I looked at her in disbelief and asked her why the website would state otherwise. She had no answer, getting pretty upset with my snooty attitude by now (in my defense, I had to spend a good portion of my lunch hour to get this sorted out). She reiterated that I would not be able to enjoy the same privileges of same day deposit again and to please have a good day.

Now, RBC, please explain to me why I should remain a customer to a bank who even though has excellent customer service otherwise, treated me with such disregard in this instance. Forget about me, why does RBC charge $6.50 for a money order or a draft that it itself will not accept as a secure payment method?

I have been a loyal customer since I started depositing the meager earnings of my babysitting job when I was 14 or so. Through high school, university and now my first job, I have stuck by RBC and boasted about your excellent customer service to all. It seems you just don’t care about me the same I did about you.

* RBC distinguishes drafts and money orders by monetary amount attached. Other Canadian banks don't distinguish between them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you follow up on this and update us with what the outcome was

Michel Savoie said...

http://saimafa.blogspot.com/2009/12/rbc-customer-service-fail.html

Hello Saima,

Thank you for sharing the difficulty you experienced negotiating the bank drafts you received. We certainly regret any misinformation you received regarding our Hold Policy and pledge to review this with the employees involved.

Although RBC makes client care a key priority, it is evident, upon reviewing your blog, that we did not meet your expectations, or those of our own, in this instance. While we understand you thought Holds might not apply to money orders to bank drafts, this policy has been in place for quite some time.

Applying Holds has increased due to the exponential increase in fraudulent transactions that have recently occurred, particularly those where our clients have unknowingly accepted and negotiated counterfeit money orders and bank drafts. By initiating such measures, we hope to fulfill our fiduciary responsibility to our clients to protect them from the possibility of financial harm.

So, unless a draft or money order is issued from RBC, our staff will not know if a draft or money order is legitimate. Only the issuing bank can know that with certainty once the draft or money order is received by them, after it is cleared. We provide information to the public on how to protect themselves from fraud on our web site at the following link:

http://www.rbc.com/privacysecurity/ca/protecting-yourself.html

I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to prove our commitment of providing first class service to you in the future. I’ve shared my Twitter info below. Don’t hesitate to let me know via direct message if you’d like to discuss further, and I can then provide you with further contact information.

Sincerely,

Michel Savoie
RBC Royal Bank
http://twitter.com/RBC
http://twitter.com/MichelSavoie